Fort Denaud, Florida

The history surrounding Fort Denaud goes back to the Second Seminole War in 1835. It was officially founded in 1838 as part of a series of posts linking American operations south of Tampa to the east coast, and was built on land owned by Pierre Denaud. It served as a supply depot until the war ended, and was reopened during the Third Seminole War for company quarters, a hospital guardhouse, sutler's store, and stables. After a fire in the summer of 1856, the fort was abandoned, and the name was given to the nearby town.