Town of Fort White, Florida

The original military fort was constructed in 1836 to protect the Cor Creek settlement from the Second Seminole War. The town was incorporated in 1884 and continued to grow with the arrival of the railroad in 1888. The primary industries were phosphate mining and agriculture. As phosphate mines depleted and the cotton industry became more automated, the local economy fell. Residents today enjoy a quiet, close-knit community.