The Private Alva Book Club planted roots for the Alva Library, the first public library in southwest Florida. It dates back to 1909 and is also home to a chapel that opened in 1901. The Alva Library was the first library in what is today Lee County. In 1974, the Alva Garden Club turned the building into a museum with the Library Association trustees' permission. The library and chapel are both open to the public and are home to the nonprofit museum.