Originally, the town was called Thigpen. In 1846, Mr. Thigpen opened a tavern to serve the stagecoach line at the crossroads of what we now recognize as Baldwin. He supplied horses, shelter, and food. The first railroad was built in Thigpen in 1857 with a second crossing it in 1859. The name was changed to Baldwin in honor of Dr. Abel Seymour Baldwin, the president of the Florida, Atlantic, and Gulf Central Railroad.