In August 1858, a settler named John Brandon purchased 40 acres in the New Hope area that is now known as Brandon. He later purchased 160 acres and named this land Brandon. John and his second wife Victoria's house was built on what is today the corner of Knights and Victoria Street. Four years later, Brandon donated land to build the New Hope Church. Not only was it the first church in the community, it was also Brandon's first school.