A blockhouse known as Fort Concord was constructed on the shores of Lake Concord in 1849. This was the first official establishment in the area. In 1925, Gordon J. Barnett of New York moved to the area and invested in the fern industry, opening his own fernery and purchasing more land. In 1926, a man named Hibbard Casselberry from Illinois was visiting his wife’s aunt in nearby Winter Park, Florida when he met Gordon Barnett and signed on as his exclusive sales agent for an area called Fern Park Estates. The area was pushed south during World War II and eventually merged with other city limits. The new town in its entirety was called Casselberry.