The Chokoloskee Island was inhabited by natives for more than 1,500 years before European explorers ever reached the area. Modern settlement began in 1874. The area was largely isolated, and had few services to offer the community for many years. Even as late as 1915, there was no stable church. Except for a "Doctor" S.L. Greene who lived there for a few months, Chokoloskee Island did not have a resident physician for many years.