With its vast population of persimmon trees that grow around the natural springs, this city was once known and Persimmon Hollow. Henry Addison DeLand, a baking soda merchant from New York, visited there in 1876. He imagine building a citrus, agricultural, and tourism center and purchased land there that same year. He built a public school and established DeLand Academy, Florida's first private college. During Florida’s Land Boom in the 1920s, DeLand's streets became lined with buildings in the stucco Mediterranean Revival style of architecture, many of which have been generously restored.