Originally, the city was called Ichepucksassa after the Indian village that once occupied the territory. It caused so much confusion, the name was changed by an Irish postmaster to Cork, to honor his hometown. In 1884, Henry B. Plant extended the South Florida Railroad into the town and, when the town was incorporated, it was renamed a final time in honor of Plant himself. The area originally produced more cotton than anything, but is now referred to as the Winter Strawberry Capital of the World, and over 3/4 of the nation's midwinter strawberries come from Plant City.