This town was incorporated about 25 years after a group of settlers moved here following the Civil War. Many of the settlers were Union soldiers who had served around the area during the war. In the late 19th century, it was a settlement of about 75 families, and was renowned for its natural resources, most notably its citrus, grape vineyards, farm produce, and long-leaf yellow pine. In 1887, there were 85 orange groves (more than 14,000 bearing trees and 27,250 nursery stock) and more than 2,000 peach trees. After the freeze of 1895, many grove owners were forced to move away, leaving an empty town behind. That population eventually regrew, and today maintains a steady number of about 900 residents.